Skip to main content

"You had more energy in your voice than I've heard.. ever" -Elder Merrill to Sister Glover (she's basically dead, apparently)

What to share, what to share. So much happened and I don't know where to begin. 

Early in the week, I was reflecting on what I'm doing here/why I came on my mission. I wrote in my notebook as I thought about it and wrote: "I want to FEEL every aspect of this work. Why am I here if not? Do I do this work because I'm supposed to? Because that's what missionaries do? Maybe in part, but I want to get to the point where I am truly immersed in it.." and Heavenly Father definitely took that desire and ran with it. This was one of the hardest weeks of my mission. I felt like I wasn't getting answers to my prayers (and that's kind of the basis for doing ANY missionary work) so I felt hopeless. But I think that's what was necessary for me to be more invested. I started working harder to take my mind off of myself cause it wasn't fun to think about how I felt, to be honest.

BUT, because of that, we saw some really great people and had way uplifting experiences! (which, let's be honest, I needed) We went to see Steve who I may or may not have mentioned before. He's really cool. In his earlier days, he "drove truck" as the people say, and rolled his semi TWICE. The fact that he's alive, let alone that he can walk and talk and function on his own, is a major miracle. We talked to him about how the gospel has been restored and asked him about how Christ's life has impacted his. What he shared blew me away. he talked about Judas Iscariot and how he doesn't think Judas really betrayed Jesus but was in reality, Christs most trusted apostle. Interesting thought huh? I think Steve relates to him a little because of the way his life has played out, not entirely sure. But I do know that Steve is super great and I definitely have already learned from him. 

Later in the week, we saw this kid strolling down the street, so we asked if we could walk with him and he said yes, so we did! and we talked the entire way about joy v. happiness and how we find actual joy in this life(hint: through Jesus Christ and his Gospel). He was really cool and you could tell he was actually processing the things we said. I'm pretty sure he kept walking past where he was headed to continue the conversation too. It was way cool. God places us in the paths of those who need to hear from us, sometimes it takes longer than 2 minutes though.

I realized that Saturday night. We were out tracting and pleading with God to direct us to where He needed us and I didn't feel like I could hear anything or feel any sort of inkling about what He was saying. It didn't feel like He was saying anything. In a last attempt, I opened the Book of Mormon and flipped to a random page: 3 Nephi 11:3-30 was before me. I closed the book, closed my eyes and flipped to a random page again: the same exact page. And I read. "And behold, I am the light and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning." Then on the next page, verse 41: "Therefore, go forth unto this people, and declare the words which I have spoken, unto the ends of the earth." So we did, and it didn't get better that night, but Sunday was. And I was reminded of why I am here. I have a testimony of this gospel. I know that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus Christ, His Son. I know that the Priesthood has been restored and because of that, we have full access to Christ Atonement through baptism and through receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I know I can be with my family forever, and look forward to that whenever I miss them. I love our Father and our Savior, and I know they love me and it pains them to see me hurt and struggle, but they are with me. 

I love you all, I hope you have an amazing week, and that you can feel Gods love for you and act on it. 
Sister Shuldberg

p.s. I gave away Mason's copy of the Book of Mormon and Sister Glover and I have decided they are to be married :) Isn't that exciting? Congrats Mase! haha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"He's a good dad"

Hi Friends! Wowee, is there a lot to say. Please excuse the spelling errors. We have an hour to do all letter and email writing and we have to email the Branch President too, so yikes. Too much to say and I'm wasting time explaining.  I dunno where to even start. Announcements:  I will be leaving the MTC on October 10. Please feel free to mail me things at the following address: Sister Karlee Hansen Shuldberg OCT10 WA-YAK 2005 N 900 E Unit 163 Provo, UT 84602 Also, theres these websites called dearelder.com and mtcmissionary.com through which you can send me things too. If its getting closer to my departure date, send it to the mission home in Yakima..I'll add that address next week.  So my district here is super awesome. My companion is Sister Cannell. Shes so understanding, and an amazing listener and I'm learning alot from her. there's us, and Sisters Hatch and Richmond. At first, it was weird to call people Elder and Sister and I often for

"I will go, I will do, the things THE LORD COMMANDS!!"

Hi Friends!    So Mission time is so totally warped. The days feel super long and the weeks seem to go by quick-ish, but come Pday I feel like I have no memory of anything that happened that week. And every day ends in a similar way so I have no way of knowing what day it is. Basically my perception of time passing no longer works. It's cool.     We had a Trunk-or-Treat on Wednesday and there was this family all dressed up as Harry Potter characters (Carson, you woulda LOVED it) I took a picture but it's kinda blurry. the mom was Professor Trelawny(sp?), the dad was Professor Snape, and then they had Hermione, Harry, Ron, and their little girl was Dobby.     Margaret is doing super well. We still don't know if she's moving out or no, so that's concerning, especially as we get closer o her baptismal date, but she's super diligent and is being a member missionary before she is even a member. She reads the Book of Mormon to her mom and is trying to get he

"Are you eating the Bible I gave you?!?" -Ally to baby sister Emma

Hello one and all!  Jersey came to church yesterday! :) She is a girl we met a couple weeks ago after reaching out to the missionaries who were here last year and they'd mentioned her parents. When we met her, she asked if we could come read the Bible with her because "I need church". Of course, we agreed. She came for choir practice beforehand and stayed the whole time. Her first Sunday, she was there for over 4 hours, and she loved every bit of it :) and they loved her :)  We also got to do some community-lighting this week! If you aren't friends with me on Facebook.. shame on you, but it's okay, I will share. Selah has a couple places around that have apples with the word Selah in them(probably because Washington apples, and because Treetop is located here) so we went in to City Hall Tuesday morning and asked the mayor if she would be okay with us adding something to the one just outside the building, she said yes :) She also asked me to tell the man walkin