Skip to main content

"the road's that way"

Hi Friends!

It has been one heck of a week. Goodbyes, packing, transfers, new area(and companion and roommates and routine),service, walking, and missionary work interspersed with all of that, we'll see what I can put into coherent thought.

My new companion is Sister Jensen. She's been out just over 6 months (and I hit 5 tomorrow!) and has been in Ephrata fro 6 weeks or so. We're both still pretty new, but we've got a good feeling about this transfer and we're gonna learn a lot and work hard. I'm excited. We live with another set of Sisters which has been a little more of an adjustment, to go from spending 4 1/2 months living with one person to living with 3 who already have a groove that now I have to fit into. But they are all wonderful people and we've had some fun in these last 4 1/2 days. I'm going to learn a lot here and its exciting to see how Heavenly Fathers hand was involved in all of this. I know I'm supposed to be here in Ephrata and that whatever happens over these next 6 weeks with Sister Jensen, it's part of His plan. I already love it here, He definitely knows what he's doing.

Something unique to Ephrata, as far as I know, is the WIND. Its bad. And we're in what's called a car-share, so we trade off having the car and sometime we walk, a lot. Walking on a windy day is super fun, we had to walk at like a 45 degree angle it felt and constantly hold our skirts so as to not fully embrace the Marilyn Monroe lifestyle. But walking has been fun, and I found out where all the tumbleweeds come from. There's so much sagebrush, oh my gosh. Its been very different from Terrace Heights to say the least, but in a good way.

I've met some wonderful people here in Ephrata and already made some great friends. It's been cool to see how missionary work is pretty similar wherever you go, and the Spirit will guide you in all you do. I was reading in Jacob 6 this last week and it talks about how blessed the servants who labor in the Lords vineyard will be and I thought about how privileged I am to be serving a mission at all, regardless of where in the mission I am or where in the world I am. Heavenly Father has chosen me and trusts me to share the most precious thing in this world, and I'm gonna do it to the best of my ability.

One of the dinner messages we shared this week was 1 Nephi 8: 19-21. Lehi repeats the phrase "tree by which I stood" three times. That tree represents the Love of God which is essentially Jesus Christ. He's emphasizing that he stood by Christ and in verse15 when he sees his family he beckons them closer, but does not leave his spot next to Christ. Where do you all stand? and do you make it known to those around you? I've really thought about that these last few days. Where do I stand? How converted am I? and what can I do to step closer and proclaim to the world that I stand with Christ? Food for thought :)

Much Love!
Sister Shuldberg

p.s. coolest thing, okay not -est, but cool. The Bishop in my new ward makes pens, and he's gonna make me one! I'll send a picture next week, I swear I'm gonna come home with nothing but gifts and knickknacks that I've been given over 18 months. not a totally horrible thought










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kind of a walking area...

Hi friends! So I don't actually know how to condense everything that I want to share into a feasible email, so just a disclaimer: I totally don't expect you to read all of this. It's a heck of a lot of information. SOO... We got to go to the temple on Tuesday! As a mission we get to go once every six months, usually in October and April. Our zone all went together to the Columbia River temple, which is way tiny, but it was so wonderful. After a crazy week of so much new and nothing familiar, the temple was way nice to get to recuperate a little.  Wednesday was really chill. We got to brush horses which I loved. they are so calm, at least the ones Sue lets us brush, and it's nice to do something that doesn't require a whole lot of thinking. Sue, the owner of the ranch we went to is so loving and she's kinda hilarious too. She calls us her missionaries or her sisters and says a prayer with us every time we come.  Thursday.. we got Margaret back on d...

"Hi Girls!!"

HI Friends! So, no I'm not calling you all girls, ANA WAS BAPTIZED ON SATURDAY! and Sister Zollinger and I spent like 20 minutes trying to imitate how she says "girls" cause she's from the Dominican Republic and it sounds great. That's the way she always greets us :) Love her. Her baptism was absolutely wonderful. the Spirit was so strong and we were all crying, and grinning and ahhh it was so powerful.  Some weird things have happened this week. Tuesday at 12:30AM I woke up and started planning for the day, I woke Sister Zollinger and was so urgent about getting it done until she was like "WE'LL PLAN AT 6:30 WHEN WE USUALLY PLAN". yup. Guess I'm Just too excited about all things missionary. whoops.  Margaret is moved out!! Her new apartment isn't in our area, so we have to give her to another set of missionaries :(, but now she can be baptized!! whoo and we can still go to it, holla. Thanksgiving was grand. We went...

Week 2

Heyo! So this email is prolly gonna be just as harebrained as the last one 'cause I'm still working out the kinks of timing and putting my thoughts in order. So, this is my last Pday in the MTC.. we leave at 230AM next Tuesday, I don't know what that'll mean for emails but there will be another eventually, no worries. Couple things, actually a bunch of things: 1: Sister Cannell drinks chocolate milk WITH ICE. I know weird, but I've decided to be the bigger person and look past it(that's a joke, I love her, it's hard not being able to put a little bit of sarcasm in my emails) 2: Anyone and everyone, please feel free to write/email me, I love hearing about like anything right now haha 3: Role playing is a total blessing, Sister Cannell is pretty shy and it's really helped her come out of her shell a bunch plus it helps to keep me from rambling like I do. 4: Speaking of my rambling, we watched this Elder Holland talk about opening your mou...