Skip to main content

"I don't know, and I don't wanna know"

Hi Friends!

Its so weird on Pdays to try to remember the things that happened throughout the week. Mission time is seriously warped, man. It feels like last Pday was two days ago, but last Thursday was a week and a half ago. Basically, wish me luck as I try to communicate.

We have had some really wonderful conversations with people this week. When I first came out(says the 4 month old missionary), I'd feel super discouraged when we walked away from a door without them being interested or us planning to come back, but now (after all my weeks of experience lol) it's easier to recognize that we can be fulfilling our purpose in that moment simply by bringing the Spirit into the conversation. We talked with a man yesterday who was totally drunk, trying to numb the pain of recently losing his dad and his grandma and we talked about better ways to cope and about Heavenly Fathers plan for us. I don't know if we'll ever see him again, but it was at least a reminder for him that he knows what Christ wants him to do is not what he has been doing. 

In regards to the subject line, we helped a self-proclaimed hoarder clear out some of her garbage this week and there were so many times that we pulled out a bag or bin or whatever and she'd send it to the dump pile 'cause she didn't wanna know. I think we could sometimes do that with metaphorical baggage. We tend to hold onto things and refuse to forgive ourselves for things, at least I do, and so when we're about to get rid of it, we go to dig through the whole thing, thinking "I might need this later," or "what if...?" when we should let it go, let go of the mistakes that we've already been forgiven for, let go of the things that are allowing Satan to drag us down, and make room for better. (yep, I am now a missionary that can turn anything into a spiritual message, bam)

I feel like I've said this before, but it was a week of learning for me. Let's just all start assuming that every week was a week of learning, cause I'm a missionary and we like to do that. It was really cool though, the week started out swell, day after day (for three days) and then something got knocked off-kilter. I was discouraged and frustrated with no understanding as to why. And then, answers. so a little back story, for this transfer I'm studying one Christ-like attribute each week, and I had delayed in picking this weeks, but on Wednesday, I wrote in my journal about how I needed to pick one and I wished Peace was an option. 
So I decided as part of my personal study, I'd study Hope. I say decided, but really in was revelation. It was exactly what I didn't know I needed. Right then, my disposition changed. Discouraging things still happened, I wasn't made perfect, nor was Sister Fleming, but everything was better. Simply trying to have more confidence in God and recognizing that with hope comes patience for the things we have been PROMISED brought peace and a clearer mind. Even better, the clearer mind and lighter shoulders gave me the opportunity to fulfill the desires spoken of in Mosiah 18 and bear others burdens because I wasn't so hung up on my own any longer. What a glorious feeling. 

Everything's going well, I love my companion, I love Terrace Heights, and the non-Chicago winter weather. :)

Much Love!
Sister Shuldberg



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

Heyo! So this email is prolly gonna be just as harebrained as the last one 'cause I'm still working out the kinks of timing and putting my thoughts in order. So, this is my last Pday in the MTC.. we leave at 230AM next Tuesday, I don't know what that'll mean for emails but there will be another eventually, no worries. Couple things, actually a bunch of things: 1: Sister Cannell drinks chocolate milk WITH ICE. I know weird, but I've decided to be the bigger person and look past it(that's a joke, I love her, it's hard not being able to put a little bit of sarcasm in my emails) 2: Anyone and everyone, please feel free to write/email me, I love hearing about like anything right now haha 3: Role playing is a total blessing, Sister Cannell is pretty shy and it's really helped her come out of her shell a bunch plus it helps to keep me from rambling like I do. 4: Speaking of my rambling, we watched this Elder Holland talk about opening your mou...

Kind of a walking area...

Hi friends! So I don't actually know how to condense everything that I want to share into a feasible email, so just a disclaimer: I totally don't expect you to read all of this. It's a heck of a lot of information. SOO... We got to go to the temple on Tuesday! As a mission we get to go once every six months, usually in October and April. Our zone all went together to the Columbia River temple, which is way tiny, but it was so wonderful. After a crazy week of so much new and nothing familiar, the temple was way nice to get to recuperate a little.  Wednesday was really chill. We got to brush horses which I loved. they are so calm, at least the ones Sue lets us brush, and it's nice to do something that doesn't require a whole lot of thinking. Sue, the owner of the ranch we went to is so loving and she's kinda hilarious too. She calls us her missionaries or her sisters and says a prayer with us every time we come.  Thursday.. we got Margaret back on d...

"Love God with all your heart.."

Hi Friends! It has been a week. dang.  We got to do a whole lot of service this week which was really fun. It's kinda wonderful to get to think all about someone else even for just an hour. I do a heck of a lot of thinking in a day, so I need a break sometimes and service is the way to do it. The great thing is, if you're doing it right, more than just the service projects feel like service, practically all we do as missionaries is serve, so I get to think about others all the time! yay! One of the things we got to do was go brush horses at Hart Ranch. Sue Hart, the owner, is super sweet and she gave us those gloves as a Christmas gift and we're going back this week to help her put up all her Christmas stuff cause she's getting kinda old, plus we love to do that.  I'm coming up on 3 months and since Sister Zollinger is very likely going to be leaving Terrace Heights at the end of this transfer, I've been thinking a lot about what I've learne...